The Star - News, views and advertising of the Grand Coulee Dam Area

Re-elect Cindy Carter Grant County Commissioner

Fire destroys home in Grand Coulee

 

This home on Roosevelt Drive next to the Lutheran church in Grand Coulee burned Saturday. - GCVFD photo

Fire destroyed a home at 323 Roosevelt Drive in Grand Coulee late Saturday evening.

A family of four were away at the time of the fire; however, two dogs died in the blaze.

The Jesus Llamas family rented the mobile home that was owned by the Loretta Bingham family.

Firefighters from Grand Coulee and Electric City volunteer fire departments and the Bureau of Reclamation responded.

Grand Coulee Volunteer Fire Chief Rick Paris stated that fire and smoke was coming from the mobile home when firefighters arrived at the scene.

It was reported that the owners of the mobile home had insurance on the structure, but the renters did not. Both the structure and the belongings inside were a total loss.

Paris stated that it appeared the fire started in the kitchen. The Grand Coulee department is investigating the blaze.

Llamas arrived as firefighters were fighting the blaze. His wife and two children were in Spokane at the time.

Firefighters were able to confine the blaze to the mobile home.

A total of 18 firefighters responded to the blaze that started about 9:30 p.m. as well as two EMTs, four fire engines, one ambulance, four law enforcement officers and two Grant County PUD linemen. Fire crews were at the scene until midnight.

Paris said it was the third structure fire in Grand Coulee in the past six months, and that firefighters urge homeowners to check their smoke detectors and have an emergency escape plan, and to practice it.

You might be interested in:
 

Reader Comments
(0)