The Star - News, views and advertising of the Grand Coulee Dam Area

Coulee Medical Center ER and Walk-In Care

Man arrested on attempted break-in charge

Marijuana store hadn’t opened soon enough


A Selah, Washington man was arrested last Thursday for allegedly trying to break into the marijuana retail store on Burdin Boulevard.

Police said Sterling R. Sauve, 22, tried to get into B Street Bud by forcing the back door open. Sauve was arrested by police Chief John Tufts and officer Joseph Higgs.

Sauve told police that he came to town to tour Grand Coulee Dam with his electrician class but was late and had missed the tour.

He then went to the Grand Coulee Dam Area Chamber of Commerce office to inquire where the marijuana retail store was located. This was only a few minutes before the noon opening of the store.

Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Peggy Nevsimal told police that Suave had come into the chamber office about 11 a.m., and she remembered him because he was so tall and had long hair. She told him she thought the store hours were 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Sauve told officers that he thought the store was open, and that was why he was banging on the windows and kicking the back door.

An employee of the store, Sean Luna, showed police images from the security camera, and officers said they could positively identify the Selah man.

When officers arrived because of an activated alarm they found Sauve hiding around the corner of the building, they said.

The back door had been kicked, and the suspect used his shoulder to try to dislodge the door, but it held.

Store owner Jean Comstock surveyed the damaged door and estimated that it would take about $1,100 to repair. She asked police to make certain the suspect paid for the damage.

The Selah suspect faces charges of second-degree burglary and second-degree malicious mischief, both felonies.

Tufts stated that when Sauve was confronted, he squared himself like he was going to resist, which led Tufts to pull his taser unit in case he needed it. His report stated that Sauve towered over him, standing at 6 feet, 6 inches tall.

Police took Sauve to Grant County Jail.

You might be interested in:

Reader Comments