The Star - News, views and advertising of the Grand Coulee Dam Area

Coulee Medical Center ER and Walk-In Care

Alleged school threat found not credible

 

Last updated 12/15/2021 at 9:11am



A shooting threat allegedly made last week by a student at Lake Roosevelt Schools was found to not be credible, a Coulee Dam Police Report states. 

Grand Coulee Dam School District Superintendent Paul Turner emailed a statement to district parents and staff Thursday morning stating that the school was “investigating a threat allegedly made by a student.”

“In the evening of December 8th, GCDSD administration was made aware of an alleged threat of violence towards Lake Roosevelt schools from a student,” the statement reads. “An investigation, including law enforcement, was started immediately. The district was able to identify the student in question and the student will not be at school until the investigation is concluded. Law Enforcement will continue to support the school district in this process. No specific or credible threat to the school, students, or staff is known at this time. As always, school security is of (utmost importance) to us and we appreciate those who help to keep our community safe.”

Coulee Dam Police Chief Paul Bowden’s written report states that he had been contacted by Turner at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8 when Turner had received information “about a threat of shooting up the School that was made by an unknown suspect.” 

“The reporting party had overheard that another student heard the subject state this in class during school,” the report states. 

The student suspected of making a threat lives in Electric City, and Bowden’s report states that Grand Coulee Police were going to contact that student. 

The Star did not receive a copy of their report.

Bowden spoke to the father of the student who reportedly overheard the threat. He was told that the student could talk to the police the next day, as it was getting late. 

The report ends by saying that “it was found that the threat was not (credible),” but notes that the student who had been suspected of making a threat had been suspended from school. 

Turner told The Star on Tuesday that he couldn’t disclose any further details but did say that “we look out for the safety of our kids; that’s our number-one priority. I don’t tiptoe around that.”

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 08/07/2022 14:33