School website has answers for parents and students
Last updated 8/25/2020 at 6:26pm
Documents addressing options for Grand Coulee Dam School District students have been posted on the district website.
An Aug. 19 letter from Superintendent Paul Turner to the community, parents, and students touches upon aspects of reopening school, including:
• a strict protocol to enter the school,
• understanding educational options,
• the first day of school being Sept. 8, with student academic participation beginning Sept. 11, and
• conferences being held Sept. 8-10 will make sure parents and students are familiar with the online platform the school will be using.
The school district website is http://www.gcdsd.org
The full text of the letter is below.
Dear Community, Parents and Students
I want to thank everyone for your patience and grace during this unprecedented time. I know everyone has been waiting for a final direction dealing with re-opening school this fall. The final Board approved documents are now posted on the school website. Please go to GCDSD.org to review the documents that address re-opening options for GCDSD students.
- Besides academics, student and staff safety are very important. We have implemented a strict protocol upon entering the building. We ask all patrons to adhere to this protocol when entering LR Schools.
- The first day of school has been delayed until Sept. 8th. Students will begin academic participation Sept. 11th.
- Conferences will be held Sept. 8th, 9th and 10th. The goal of these conferences will be to make sure parents and students are comfortable with the on-line platform the district will use. You should receive a scheduling call on or before Sept 2nd.
- Chromebooks will be distributed at that time if needed by the student.
- The school calendar has been revised. The revised date of the calendar is 8/18/20.
- Parents who are seeking Home school or an alternative learning experience for their child should review Option 2 before deciding. As we navigate this new educational paradigm we want to encourage everyone to have understanding during this transition.
This re-opening plan has two options.
Option one will flex from 100% remote to 100% in-class. There are four levels and depending on the matrices of the county (region) and recommendation of Okanogan County Health Officer students will fluctuate between levels. The ultimate goal will be 100% in-class.
Option two gives parents, concerned with exposure of their child, an opportunity to be 100% remote (on-line). It is expected that students participating in this option may change to option 1 at either the semester or end of year. The elementary portion of this option is pending availability.
Please review the plan as well as all the supporting documentation.
Thank you for your cooperation during this time.