The Star - News, views and advertising of the Grand Coulee Dam Area

Coulee Medical Center ER and Walk-In Care

Concerning the current drug and crime issues in the Coulee Dam area


I believe the Coulee Dam Police officers are doing their best to improve the situation and are to be commended for their efforts. Even so, petty crime seems to be on the rise in the area patrolled by the short-staffed Coulee Dam police force.

Charts and graphs presented by Mayor Greg Wilder at the last Town Council Meeting indicate that the town of Coulee Dam has one of the lowest rates of petty crime (associated with illegal drug use) in the state. However, as Mayor Wilder himself said, … Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

Citizens attending the council meeting made it clear that they are more concerned with what is being done by town government, and what they can do themselves, to improve the situation. Several suggestions were made by citizens, Officer Hall and council members.

First, if you see something not right, call the Coulee Dam Police Force at 633-1234, City Hall at 633-0320, or Okanogan County dispatch at 1-800-572-6604. If it is an emergency that needs immediate attention, you can call 911.

Second, work with your neighbors to form Neighborhood Watch Groups and post signs that show petty criminals we care about our neighbors, our property and WE ARE WATCHING.

Third, attend town council meetings (second and fourth Wednesday of each month, city hall, 6 p.m.), write to one or all of your town council members in care of city hall, telephone one or more of your town council members or speak to them when you see them about town. Encourage them to do what they can to fully staff the town’s police force.

Fourth, and probably most effective in the short term, keep your valuables out of sight and behind locked doors.

Larry Price

Coulee Dam

You might be interested in:

Reader Comments

Rendered 04/16/2019 01:48