The Star - News, views and advertising of the Grand Coulee Dam Area

Coulee Medical Center ER and Walk-In Care

"Resource officer" in new school possible


The Grand Coulee Dam School District is working with the town of Coulee Dam in an effort to get a police officer at the new school complex.

The “resource officer” would be part of the Coulee Dam police force and his or her assignment would be primarily to schools.

School district Superintendent Dennis Carlson stated that Coulee Dam will be seeking a grant that would provide 75 percent of the cost of the officer for the first three years, with the town picking up the other 25 percent of the cost.

Under the grant, the town would provide full funding for the officer the fourth year.

Lake Roosevelt High School had a resource officer for several years, but didn’t seek continued funding after the term of that initial four-year grant.

Carlson stated that among the duties of a resource officer would be teaching about civics and law enforcement to some of the classes.

Police Chief Pat Collins said Monday that they are in the process of drawing up the conditions of the grant, and that after that is done the town plans to apply.

Mayor Greg Wilder said that the town has already received a pre-approval for the grant.

The funding for the grant would come from the U.S. Department of Justice, and could be available by the beginning of the new school year.

You might be interested in:

Reader Comments

Rendered 04/25/2018 15:01