Raider tennis has busy week
Daniel Campobasso returns a ball to is Pateros opponent Monday afternoon. Campobasso has only lost one match all season. - Schott Hunter photo
Raiders competed in three tennis matches during the past week. On April 10th LR travelled to Wilson Creek to take on the small Devils squad. Then on the 11th LR hosted the League leading Liberty Bell Mt. Lions. LR then turned around and hosted the Pateros Billygoats/Nannies on April 14th.
At Wilson Creek Daniel Campobasso remained undefeated for the season as he took down the Devils' number-one, Cotton Crane, 6-1, 6-0.
Areielle White had to step up to the number-one girls' singles spot as Holly Jo Carriere was sick. White rose to the challenge and defeated the Devils number-one, Samantha Dowers, 6-3, 6-2.
Wilson Creek had only two boys and three girls on their squad, which means some of the matches do not count toward the varsity score as only one match per player, per day counts. LR did not have a full squad due to sickness and not enough practices, which played a bigger factor Friday against the Mt. Lions.
Liberty Bell's superior numbers showed as the Raiders' Daniel Campobasso was handed his first loss of the season by Carlos Perez, 6-1, 6-1. The Raider boys were swept in their matches with the Mt. Lions. The lone Raider wins came from girls' singles action, with Areielle White defeating Erin Frey 6-1, 6-4 and Harmony Witten blanking Sylvia Leduc 6-0, 6-0.
Raider Head Coach Steve Archer noted that the Mt. Lions are the league leaders and the toughest B school in District 6.
Against the Pateros Billygoats Monday at home, Campobasso and Tyler Agosto won their singles matches, and the team of Agosto and Corban Wilder won in doubles action.
On the girls side, Tanya Ang won by forfeit and the team of Holly Jo Carriere and Areielle White won their doubles match.
LR now gets practice time as the match scheduled against White Swan for the April 17 was moved to April 22, starting at 4 p.m.
Archer is hoping to have the team at full strength with all nine boys and nine girls able to compete.
At Wilson Creek
• Boys' Singles: Dan Campobasso def. Cotton Crane 6-1,6-0; Brandin Smith def. Lane Ribail 6-1, 6-0
• Boys' Doubles: Brandin Smith & Tyler Agosto def. Crane & Ribail 6-4, 6-2
• Girls' Singles: Areielle White def. Samantha Dowers 6-3, 6-2; Tanya Ang lost to Emily Allen 6-4, 6-2
• Girls' Doubles: Hannah Williams & Mary Clark lost to Dowers & James 9-2
Vs. Liberty Bell
• Boys' Singles: Dan Campobasso lost to Carlos Perez 6-1,6-1;Brandin Smith lost to Jesse Schultz 6-0, 6-0; Corbin Wilder lost to Stoney Hulon 6-1, 6-1
• Boys' Doubles: Edmond Fenton & Tyler Agosto lost to Daniel Sonnichsen & F Rickenbaugh 6-0, 6-1; Isaiaj Baty & Jordon Charles lost to Josh Frey & D.J. Holey 6-4,6-2.
• Girls' Singles: Holly Carriere lost to Tulie Budiselich 6-3,6-0; Areielle White defeted Erin Frey 6-1,6-4; Harmony Witten defeated Sylvia Leduc 6-0.6-0
• Girls: Doubles: Tanya Ang & Hannah Williams lost to Erin Frey & Logan Butler 7-6(8-6), 6-2; Mary Clark & Tanya Ang lost to Grayson Alexander & Logan Butler 8-6
• Boys' Singles: Dan Campobasso defeated Jorge Caballero 6-2,6-4; Brandin Smith lost to Enrique Rojas 6-4,7-6(7-3); Tyler Agosto defeated Preston Garcia 6-2,7-6(7-3)
• Boys' Doubles: Dan Campobasso & Tyler Agosto lost to Enrique Rojas & Armondo Rojas 6-2,6-2; Tyler Agosto & Corbin Wilder defeated John Frey & D.J. Holey 9-8(7-5)
Girls' Singles: Holly Carriere lost to Emmalee Luft 6-1,6-1; Areielle White lost to Ireland Looper 1-6,6-4,6-3; Tanya Ang won by default against Julia Karkaainen
Girls' Doubles: Holly Carriere & Areielle White defeated Beatriz Morals & Chelsea Rios 7-5,6-2; Mary Clark & Hannah Williams lost to Anna Blackburn & Irish Easter 6-1,6-1; Tanya Ang & Hannah Williams lost ot Grayson Alexander & Logan Butler 8-3; Mary Clark & Jordan Charles lost to Da Sol Lee & Irish Easter